Average Labour Cost/Price to Replace/Fit a Spindle/Baluster

To clarify the following prices it is recommended that you read the article in the INFORMATION box below the PRICES…

(These prices are based on a tradesman’s rate of £150.00 per day and a labourer if required at £100.00 per day. This includes the cost of buying and collecting any materials, dumping any waste if necessary and any incidental materials they will need. The minimum price will usually be for a half day)

How Much Does it Cost To Fit a Baluster/Spindle?

banister spindle

If you get a bloke in to refit one piece, he will charge you about £25.00 (unless you are a little old lady and he sort of knows you, in which case you can “little-old-lady-him” into doing it for free).

If the builder has to mess about getting a joinery company involved, collecting the new one when it’s ready then fitting it. …..
£95.00 including the new piece.

To remove all the existing ones and reposition them a bit wider will take him about half a day but there may be a bit of re painting for you to do. Call this…….

To remove them all, cut and fit new ones (supplied and paid for by you)…..

For your must-see guide to Tradesmen's Rates please click on the map…


A Price Guide and Information Sheet on Replacing a Baluster or Spindle

It’s called common usage, when the correct word is superseded by another, which very often, is completely incorrect. A “spindle” is to be found in the sort of contraption that fairy tale heroines used to prick their fingers on. Obviously I’m old, stuck in the past, passed by as it were, by very life itself and I don’t know much about spinning flax into gold but the correct word for that bit of the banister is baluster, because it forms part of the balustrade and that’s a fact, or my name’s not Rumplestiltskin!

While we’re on a roll, there’s the vanitry unit (that’s the correct word as well, it’s not a “vanity” unit at all).

Don’t even get me on how people pronounce the letter “H”!

There’s no bloomin’ “H” sound at the beginning!

It’s “Aitch”!

Oh dear, I forgot where I was there. Right, If you have the old one and it’s intact get some wood glue and fix it back yourself with a clamp and a bit of patience… it ain’t rocket science!

If it’s broken you will need a new one. You might get lucky and find a matching replacement but I wouldn’t count on it. If not, you might settle for as near as dammit but you will spend the next year cursing yourself every time you go upstairs.

If it’s “turned” (shaped on a lathe) or worse still carved in some way, (fluted for instance), your builder can organise for a new one to be made. (He might even be able to do it himself). This will require the services of a local joinery company who will charge you of course.

When its done, fitting is a matter of half an hour at most, then you can paint it if necessary.

If you can’t get one made, a solution is either to fit a completely new matching set or remove all the existing ones and re fix them with wider spaces between them. The current regulations require balusters to be spaced such that a 100mm sphere cannot pass between them.

A-Z of Job Pricing